Monday, September 19, 2011

The day flew by.  I ran into a work colleague waiting for the bus on the way in.  John lives in Portland and comes out for a week at a time.  Has family at home.  There are alot of us here.  Work was busy.  Dawn and Ryan and I ate lunch at the YWCA of all places.  Dawn took me to eat at the bowling alley last week.  Amazingly the food is pretty.  The Country Express E bus was over 10 minutes late.  And the trip home is only 15-20 minutes total.  Trouble is - all the other Waikiki buses pick up at a different location.  Good news though - lots of options.  No room for boredom.  

I realized that I have been taking the bus for over 50 years off and on...since I was about 3 or maybe longer.  I remember the summer my Mom and my sister and I took the bus to downtown Toledo from Grandma's house near Perrysburg.  I don't know the year - but Toledo, in an effort to bring folks back to downtown, built a mall...with ponds and for swans of all things.

Then there was the summer I took the bus from Lemont to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, every day for six week.  I was in high school and got a scholarship to an Anthropology class.  The class was from 9-3 daily, and I left home at 6 am and returned at 6 pm....all for what should have been a 45 minute trip.  The bus to downtown was notoriously late and then I had to get on another bus to the museum.  Guess the class was worth it - I went on to get a degree at the University of Chicago in Anthropology.

Those Greyhound and Trailways buses aren't too fun.  I remember taking the bus from Kansas City back to Denver with a husband and 3 kids.  They oversold the seats.  Jim gave a very pregnant woman Eddie's seat and held Eddie (age 3?).  I held the woman's 6  year old the entire trip.  We survived - but I wasn't inclined towards those kind of trips again.  That trip was the result of our car getting wrecked outside of Des Moines over the Christmas holidays.  The Iowa State Patrol called us the Miracle Family that year as no one got hurt.






1 comment:

  1. I remember that trip- I didn't know the little girl was 6, just that we had fun playing with each others hair for a while.

    ReplyDelete